Make My 90th Birthday Wish Come True!
American Humane Association and I go a long way back — in fact, AHA was the first animal welfare group that I was ever involved with. Now American Humane Association has named me their "Be Kind to Animals Week®" Chairperson for 2012 — and in my 90th birthday year, I can think of no better way than to give back to an organization that has done really meaningful work over the years.
As far as I am concerned, every week should be "Be Kind to Animals Week" — and to make that possible for more animals, please join American Humane Association's new membership program.
In fact, as a challenge for my 90th birthday — I would like 9,000 animal lovers to become supporting members of AHA with a monthly gift. Did you know that American Humane Association:
- Launched Be Kind to Animals Week the oldest celebrated week in American history, back in 1915?
(I wouldn't know as that was WAY before my time!)
- Worked to save thousands of wounded horses on the battlefields during World War I?
- Helped save the bald eagle?
- Founded its famed Film and TV Unit in 1940 to make sure "No Animals Were Harmed®" for the sake of entertainment? (Now, if only actors had that kind of protection....)
- Was a leader in tackling pet overpopulation, spay and neuter, and "puppy mills"?
- Created Adopt-a-Dog Month® and Adopt-a-Cat Month® to encourage adoption from overcrowded animal shelters and save millions of innocent lives?
Today, American Humane Association rescues tens of thousands of animals each year from hurricanes, tornadoes and other disasters; helps military families and children with cancer recover with the help of therapy animals; ensures the humane treatment of more than 100 million farm animals; pays for the medical expenses of animal victims of abuse and neglect; and so much more.
Because of this historic record of achievement, I've been a proud member of American Humane Association. During this "Be Kind to Animals Week," won't you join me and make my birthday wish come true to help make a better world for animals? And be sure to join me on October 6 at the American Humane Association Hero Dog Awards™ at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles, as we celebrate the amazing, remarkable bond between people and animals.
If you join American Humane Association at the Compassion Club level, you'll be entered to win two free tickets to the Awards and I'll be proud to show you around personally. I hope you'll become a member today and do your part in protecting the most vulnerable. And at my age, please don't make me ask twice!